My remote for my tower fan recently stopped working. With my previous remote repair experience (see post here), I figured I could fix it.
This remote was a bit smarter with an LCD display and didn’t have a ceramic resonator. Viewing the IR LED through my smartphone’s camera indicated there were no pulses coming from it. With the remote disassembled and batteries removed, I tested the LED in-circuit with a multimeter in diode test mode. Checking both polarities, neither direction indicated a voltage drop so the LED was probably faulty.
I scrounged the recycling depot for some old remotes and removed the IR LED from one and installed it temporarily in my broken one. I needed a 3mm LED and the replacement was a larger 5mm but it would confirm if the LED was indeed faulty. Replacing the LED worked so I ordered some 3mm IR LED’s on Ebay from China for around $1. These came in pretty quick and now the remote is as good as new.
BTW, this is an excellent fan. The tower design takes up much less space than a regular fan, has multiple modes and a timer which is great for bedtime.